Tom is probably best known in Oak Bay as a founding member and active participant (with wife Jill) in the Community Association of Oak Bay (CAOB) since 2006. Successful initiatives for which Tom provided leadership as a Director and President include:
- Community forums on Active Transportation promoting safe walking and cycling throughout Oak Bay resulting in the formation of a committee of Oak Bay Council.
- Involvement in the redevelopment of Oak Bay High School to include a Neighbourhood Learning Centre in partnership with Oak Bay Council and Greater Victoria School District #61.
- Partnership with environment committees of Oak Bay Council and Capital Regional District in the Bowker Creek reclamation and celebration.
- Creation of the Tourism Info Bike in collaboration with Oak Bay Tourism committee.
- Development and ongoing support for the Oak Bay Community Green Map.
Tom is also a Member at Large and Past Secretary of Oak Bay Tourism and member/Past Director/Past President Rotary Club of Oak Bay since 1985 and, among other projects, participated in the creation of the Peter Pan Spray Park at Carnarvon Park and the Teen Centre at Oak Bay Rec Centre.
Less well known is Tom’s commitment to and involvement in community initiatives throughout the Capital Regional District:
- UVic Community Liaison Committee - member/co-chair 2009-2013
- Community Engagement Task Force – District of Oak Bay 2010
- Homelessness Initiative - active participation with various community organizations on the issue of homelessness resulting in the purchase of Woodwynne Farm.
- City of Victoria Mayor’s Homeless Action Task Force - member 2001
- 1994 Commonwealth Games - member of Bid Committee, volunteer, venue chair
- YM/YWCA Victoria - Director 1992 & 1993
- Director Four Season’s Theatre 1989-1991